[bct] Re: Making things cross disability accessible

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:39:05 -0600

Vince my husband is partially sighted and totally color blind.  It is
amazing to me the number of things we come across that are color coded!
Reading black on red, as on some grocery store items, is extremely difficult
for him.  He uses ZoomText, while I use JFW.

He never knew what was wrong with his eyes until he had some testing done at
Vanderbilt Hospital about ten or twelve years ago.  The retina has both
cones and rods normally.  He has no cones at all.  cones help a person see
in bright light, and see colors.  He has severe light sensitivity.

I think that perhaps mobility impaired people in wheelchairs have more
clear-cut needs and requests for accessibility.  They seem to speak with one
voice, whereas sometimes different blindness-oriented groups are more
splintered in their accessibility efforts.  Any wheelchair can use a ramp to
enter a restaurant but only some blind people can read a Braille menu.
There are so many different levels of visual impairment and people have
different needs according to their current level.  As those of us with
progressive eye diseases know too well, those levels change over time.

Joni