[bct] Making things cross disability accessible

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:39:49 -0600

Vince, You said, "People with visual stress, dyslexics, those with
limited movement and deaf
people all present different needs too, so it's no wonder things aren't
quite perfect yet!"

What can sometimes be troubling is the hard work that goes in to making
something cross disability accessible.  There seem to be people in each
disability community who will work their heads off to get something they
need even if it means that the product is not accessible to people who
have other disabilities.  And there are some disability groups that seem
to have more clout than others.  Why, for example, does the Randolph
Shepard act say that people who are blind have first rights to vending
stands.  In years past, those stands were quite small and often sold
candy, smokes, etc.  Now, some of them are large food service
establishments.  So, why is someone who is blind more qualified to run
such an establishment than someone who is in a wheel chair, or deaf, or
has no arms?  But you can be assured, that if congress decided to give
other disability groups equal rights to this perk, a lot of people who
are blind would be ready to fight that change with all their might.  So,
now you see how hard it is to work with groups of people with varying
disabilities.  I did this at Trace all the time, and it could be some of
the most divisive posturing I have ever seen.

Neal