[bct] Re: Lisa's podcast on owner trained

  • From: Scott Howell <s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:25:44 -0500

My personal knowledge on commercial food or I guess more correctly mass produced foods comes from reading. The greatest problem is the fact that some of these foods do not keep the exact same ingrediance from one batch to another. THey buy what's cheap to keep costs down and are more concerned about the bottom dollar than the health of your dog. Even some of the claims of some companies who make healthier foods are in question. There are several companies who make the higher quality foods who spend a great deal of time in choosing quality ingredience and even stamp their bags with "human grade" or similar indications. This means you could sit down and eat a bowl yourself. One company even uses a name-brand chicken in their foods, but do not state this on the bag for legal reasons.
Also by feeding your dog a higher quality food, you feed less and less output. I understand we all want to feed our dogs the best we can, but economics plays a large role. I'm fortunate in that I can feed my dog the food I do, but others may not have the income to support this. As long as you choose the best food you possibly can, then your doing the best you can. I'm not saying that these lower quality foods will kill your dog, its just that garbage is garbage out. Also the other problem with the higher quality foods and raw diets is ease of obtaining it. Yes you can make your own food, but if you travel, this isn't going to be an option unless you plan to get the stuff when you arrive, freez and carry, or switch to kibble for the trip.
Of course we could argue all day about food and the quality so lets not. Lets jus say that you do the best you can.
Hope taht makes some sense.

On Mar 12, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Larry Skutchan wrote:

I think I'd like the nylon harness better, too, for those times when the dog squeezes into tight places where your leg is one of the edges of that place. The metel in the harness handel is a killer. In fact, this leather wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for those large metel pieces. Who ever takes their handel off anyway? Come to think of it, I never have, but me and my family and friends have sure been scraped by that metel.

Do you feel that the nutritional value of the commercial foods is not up to par?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Howell" <s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxx>