[bct] Re: Lisa's podcast on owner trained

  • From: Scott Howell <s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:43:42 -0500

Lisa, not so sure I believe leather harnesses wear away at a small dog's spine. I'm sure your dog isn't the size of a toy Poodle so I'd need proof of this. My last GSD wasn't exactly small, but he had a light bone structure compared to my current GSD.
As far as raw diets, I guess that is dependent upon whether you are making your own or not. Preparing a balanced diet would certainly take some educating so you are sure your providing the necessary neutriants etc. I am curious however are you switching from chickent to turnkey to deer or are these a combination of each? I think raw diets are a good thing, but of course isn't for everyone.

Scott

On Mar 12, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Lisa Salinger wrote:

Hi Scott,
You raised some interesting comments and questions. First, feeding the raw diet can sometimes be less expensive than buying commercial food. Mine eat a lot of chicken and turkey. I buy in bulk and on sale. Around hunting season, I can sometimes get deer meat that's left over from the previous year.
The advantages to the nylon harness are that it is washable and it is a bit lighter for smaller dogs. I heard an animal massage therapist talk about how the traditional backstrap can wear away at the small bones in the dog's spine over time, and it would seem this could be less likely with the lighter material.

Lisa Salinger
Renee, Retired Guide and
Joie, Guide/SD
lisasali@xxxxxxxx