[bct] Re: Learn Braille?

  • From: "Mike Justice" <m.d.justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:50:58 -0500

I have enjoyed reading the numerous responses and differing points of view to your question about Braille, and I hope it is encouraging to you to know how much help is available. I decided to use Beth's post for my comments, because I thought she made a very good example of how simple the basics can be. I learned Braille at age 27 in 1974 with partial sight, before I returned to work as the Assistant Superintendent of the Wastewater Treatment Plant. The Braille instructor at the rehab center that I attended, was a woman blind from birth, and she had a masters degree in education. She could read Braille aloud so fluidly, it sounded just like a sighted person reading print. This was an eleven week program, with the daily Braille class of about an hour, with homework assignments. After the course was over, I purchased a Perkins Brailler, and a variety of slates. The one I used the most for pocket notes was a card slate for 3 by 5 standard index file cards. I paper clipped Braille notes to paper documents that I needed to refer to later, such as items I would show to a sighted colleague. I actually used Braille less in the office as my sight diminished to only light perception; but only because speech access for many documents stored on computer, voice mail, and Email became office standards. My favorite slate now is a four line, 28 cell model with slots at each end of the second line so that standard Dymo label tape can be used for Braille labels. It is easy to use 3 by 5 or 4 by 6 index cards in this slate, so it is a very versatile tool for notes and labeling. I never developed my Braille reading skill sufficiently to make reading anything of length practical for me, but I am very glad I have Braille as one of my assistive tools.

Mike Justice,
----- Original Message ----- From: "Beth" <fb-oe@xxxxxxx>