[bct] Larry's podcast, and thoughts about 2005

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:25:04 -0800

Hi Joni, Lynnette and everyone,

It looks like a lot of us had electric bills in the same price range. Let's hope prices go down in the near future! Joni, you'll certainly be complaining next July when you move to Florida, but I hope it won't be as bad as you anticipate.

I started doing a podcast on things to be grateful for in the past year, but decided to just write it instead since it will be more brief this way. One real big thing is podcasting! BCT is the best of the best, and it's a wonderful way to reach out, to give, and to help out. This group is so special and so remarkable! We can pool our talents and experience and chime in to share and learn and help. You can't ask for a better bunch of people than this bunch! You all are great! Thanks to Larry for getting it started and keeping it going!

I am also very grateful for a roof over my head, a warm place to live and food to eat, just the basics. There is a storm out there that is probably being mentioned on the national news. I haven't found out yet how strong the wind is, but it sounds like it's about 40 miles an hour as it blows through the big trees here. There is also rain that occasionally gets blown against the windows. Other parts of the San Francisco area have it much worse, and there are floods in some places; traveling on the bridges across the bay can be very dangerous during these storms, so I hope the people who need to be out in this weather will be safe.

The last thing is, as I have mentioned in previous posts, being out of the rat race at work. It has freed up a lot of time to pursue other interests and live a much less stressful life style; it has also taught me a lot about keeping a budget and sticking to it. You tend to go through a sort of wake-up call, when you realize how much you really spend on things you took for granted, and how much it costs to live, but you also learn how to cut back. Very valuable lessons, indeed!

Maybe some others of you can share what 2005 has taught you, and I hope it's been a good year for you. I think we all agree that BCT is one of the best things that's happened to us.