[bct] Re: Larry's Career

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:38:34 -0700

Hi everyone,

The careers discussion on the podcast is really fascinating! Some people have
done a variety of things, some people are in the blindness field, some people
have had mainstream careers; I guess the thing that fascinates me the most is
the variety of things people have done, or plan to do. I hope it's encouraging
to students and those who are just starting out; for me as a retiree, I
absolutely love it because it tells me that there are some incredibly talented
people out there.

I would love to hear from high school students about their school experiences.
I had very unpleasant experiences; I went to public school throughout and
didn't get the support that Donna and others had; I was just thrown in and was
the only blind student, left to get my own books in braille or rely on a school
counselor to flounder around trying to find out where to get them. It
definitely prepared me for college, but it was a difficult thing growing up at
age 14. My middle school days were nearly the same; so I can easily identify
with students who are having a rough time of it. The good part is that you look
back and see how the rough times make you stronger; that's true in any aspect
of life, I think. Fortunately, the good things are there to help balance the
difficult things, and hopefully there are lots of good things. Well, enough
philosophy; just wanted to agree that this podcast is really turning into
something phenomenal; the immediacy of this type of communication is really
great. This is really the best of the best!