[bct] Re: Keyboard

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:57:06 -0600

Beth, live playing of the keyboard is not only easy but quite
interesting. One of the very nice things about this keyboard is that you
can map parts of the keyboard to do different things.  So, in the upper
part of the keyboard, you could have an obo, in the middle a French
horn, and in the left hand, you could have a string orchestra.  So, when
you are playing you basically are playing three tracks at a time.  You
can also set the keyboard to add instruments with a different touch
sensitivity.  In other words, if I am playing a brass choir, I can set
the keyboard such that when ever I play a certain note louder than X, It
will play the brass choir but also add any other instrument I want such
as a timpani.  It also has a way to have certain instruments playing and
when you turn a wheeled, the instruments you decide upon will get softer
while the others still play at their normal volume.  One can also do
things like play a chord, say with the string section, and press down
harder on the keys and the volume of the sound will increase.  Letting
up a bit on the keys will cause the keys to get softer.  You can
actually connect a mouth piece to the keyboard and blow into it while
playing the notes on the keyboard.  Blow hard, and the volume increases.
Blow softly, and the volume decreases, much as it would do if you were
playing a wind instrument.  You can also link sounds together and play
them at the same time.  I can play my hand bells while also playing the
same notes with the choir.  Too much of this and you run out of memory,
but one can add a number of sounds before this happens.

Ok, now I don't have to do a podcast.  You know too much.

I'm kidding, I will do one and I think people will understand how
impressive this keyboard really is.  The reason they have limited their
memory is that they wan to always support people who have purchased
older units.  While this is a laudable approach, it does mean that one
is still limited by that lack of memory.  But, it is possible to work
around it.