[bct] Re: Keyboard

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:00:54 -0600

Hello Beth, yes, the keyboard is still made, the new version is the
Kurzweil 2600 model.  There are a number of models in that series.  I
will be doing another podcast shortly on how I deal with the various
menus and other aspects in order to create my music.  I will tell you
that it is not easy.  The big problem is that the Kurzweil has limited
memory, 128 MB.  That's a very sad state.  It works reasonably well if
you are simply using the sounds that come with the keyboard, but a lot
of the sounds I used were ones I either made myself or purchased to add
to the mix.  For example, the 300 voice London Philharmonic chorus, the
violin, the obo, and the flutes were all added.  These sound, or samples
as they are called, take up a lot more of the Kurzweil's memory than do
the samples that are already on board.  So, I quickly run out of memory
when doing multi tracking.  So, what I have to do is to record all the
tracks I can on the Kurzweil, record them to my computer, and while
listening to my computer, I record more sounds on the Kurzweil.  I then
use Sound Forge to overlay the two performances in exactly the right
place.  It's easy enough if you are just recording on the tracks of the
Kurzweil, because you can stop when you make a mistake and punch in at
just the right place and correct the mistake.  This gets much harder to
do when you are playing both from the computer and the Kurzweil while
recording an additional track.  Sound complicated?  It is.  I'm thinking
of looking into software synthesizers which allow one to connect the
keyboard to the computer and load the samples on the computer itself
where I have 2 GB of memory.  I don't know if there are any accessible
software synthesizers out there that will play the kind of samples I am
talking about or not, but I'm about to find out.

Well, that's probably more than you asked for, but that's the story.
I'll be demonstrating this in the next podcast.  And, the sounds on the
unit itself are not bad.  I'll try to give people a variety of sounds
that are on board as well as those I have either recorded or purchased.

Thanks for the kind words.