[bct] Jake's wonderful e-mail about blindness

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:14:50 -0800

Three cheers for you, Jake! This business of blindness being a nuisance does not explain why blind people are getting killed because of those hybrid cars that don't make any noise, so the person steps out in front of one and gets hit, not knowing, literally, what hit him or her. I'm with you on this one. Totally. Completely. Nuisance? No, it's a real pain to be blind, and it's more of a pain when you've got other things to deal with besides.

So boot me off the list too. It ain't a nuisance, because a nuisance can be ignored most of the time, and we take blindness with us all day and every day of our lives.

And don't tell me mobility training will solve all my travel problems. I've gotten knocked down enough times by cars and trucks to know better; when you can't hear well enough to know where sound is coming from, all the mobility in the world won't help you. And, for that matter, all the so-called training in the world won't take care of seizure problems, or learning problems, or just being scared to go out. You have to be brave to go out there. I pray every time I venture out to do something. It's not a safe world out there. And anybody who has sighted help is very, very, very fortunate; tell those who help you that they are loved and appreciated, and never, never take them for granted. This comes from someone who doesn't have sighted help, and hasn't for a long time, but who copes because it's necessary.

Ok, I'll shut up. This seems to be my week for speaking out. But, again, three cheers for speaking out, Jake! I am with you one hundred percent.

Mary