[bct] Re: Jake's wonderful E-mail about blindness

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:56:28 -0600

Beth one of the things I have always been curious about is how eyes can show
so many emotions.

I have RP but my case seemed to be worse at an earlier age than many people
with RP.  I could read large print in elementary school.  I went to public
schools and they didn't teach me Braille until eighth grade.  My vision loss
has been so slow over the years that I could never pinpoint a time when I
noticed I had less vision, until the past two years.  I had a cataract
removed and a laser capsulotomy performed last spring but it did not help my
vision.  The ophthalmologist used the word amazing in describing my retinas.
Not a good time to hear that word!

I know a lady who may get a chance to have some sort of retinal implant.  It
will be interesting to see what her experience is like.  My understanding is
that it won't miraculously make a blind person see but may in some way be
able to help a person with mobility.  I don't really know what the
expectations are with these kinds of experimental implants at this point.
However, the brain has to learn to see.  It is not as simple as lifting a
shade and looking out a window.  The brain has to interpret what the eyes