[bct] Re: JFW and W.E.

  • From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:24:18 -0800

Hi Neal,

I can't claim to be an angel who has never copied any software, but I do
think we all need to step back from these screen reader issues a bit and
perform a reality check.

I am a dedicated Window-Eyes user and promoter, but I also use, train, and
support Jaws.  I have found that folks usually prefer the screen reader they
first learned and that very few people learn more than one well enough to
make an objective comparison.

It is a fact that screen reader software is expensive relative to most other
software written for the main stream market.  It is also a fact that given
the limited market, without prices set at a level that keeps the companies
going, we wouldn't have anything near the access that we currently enjoy.

It is also very valuable to have several screen reader developers to push
the envelope through competition.

I certainly don't agree with all the business approaches adopted by adaptive
technology companies, but I know many of the folks involved in bringing us
accessible hardware and software and by far, the majority of them aren't
doing it because there's a good chance of getting rich, but because they
care about creating better access.