[bct] Re: Intro and thanks

  • From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:59:17 -0600

Hi Joni and welcome to the list. I too am very inexperienced at digital
recording, but love all the podcasts. I have set my homepage in Internet
Explorer to the Blind Cool Tech website. I actually got to take a tour of
the American Printing House for the Blind a long time ago and it's a neat
place. To answer your question about talking ATM's, yes there is Braille on
the machine itself. The keypad has raised markings on it. This is true of
all Bank One ATM's, but I'm not sure about other ones. To activate the
speech, you need to bring along a headset of your own. I heard on another
list that the bank will supply headsets upon request, but I have forgotten
the number to call. Anyway, plug the headset in and the speech starts. On both my visits to a Bank One talking ATM, the spoken instructions were very easy to follow. The speech was clear, and quite sexy! The instructions contained a very good orientation to the machine, and I could tell exactly how to make my transactions. The keys emitted tones when pressed, and in some cases the function or number entered was spoken. When I entered my PIN, only beep tones were emitted. I have heard that some blind people are opposed to talking ATM's, but if one strives to be independent I should think these would come in quite handy.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>