[bct] Intro and thanks

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:22:10 -0600

Hi everyone,

I have been listening to BCT podcasts for several months but just joined
this list.  I have enjoyed so many of the podcasts that I could never
remember everyone's name to say thanks.  It has been so much fun sharing
slices of life experiences with people from all over the world.

Neal I really liked your In The Well podcast.  You did an excellent job of
describing lots of sensory experiences and your description of being in the
well was a unique perspective.  I hope you will let us know when the second
edition of your book is available.  I also enjoyed hearing the story read by

Jeff I enjoyed walking in the Minnesota snow with you and meeting your wife.
I share her enthusiasm for roller coasters.  For anyone who likes coasters,
Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, is a must visit.  They have over a dozen
coasters and some of them are truly awesome!  The amusement park is on Lake
Eerie and you can stay at hotels very close to the gates of the park.  The
last time my husband and I were there we went parasailing which was a blast

Lynette I have heard about talking ATMs but never actually heard one
demonstrated.  I would love to use one of them.  How do you activate the
speech in a talking ATM?  Are any of the keys Brailled or is the keypad
fairly straightforward and easy to intuit?  I have never even examined an
ATM, just stood by while my husband did transactions.

I love the sound seeing tours and career casts.  I am not experienced with
digital recording in any way, shape or form, but maybe one day I will be
brave enough to try to learn what so many of you all seem to know so well.
In the meantime, I look forward to visiting the BCT website every day to see
what is new and listening to the podcasts I download on my Book Port.

I enjoyed Robert Carter's demonstration of the BrailleNote GPS.  I would
love to hear a description and demonstration of the Trekker if anyone out
there is using one.  It seems like the least expensive GPS option for the
blind that I am aware of, which is why I am considering buying it.

My husband and I have lived in Nashville, Tennessee, for the past twenty
years but we are planning to move to Florida in the spring to live near my
family.  This year my job of twenty years at a local hospital was
outsourced.  I am now doing medical transcription for the company the work
was outsourced too and so my job is portable, which is one nice factor in
many bad factors in losing a 20-year job.

Thanks Larry for hosting the website and thanks to everyone who adds
podcasts and makes it such an irresistible place to visit.