[bct] Re: Intro Vocals

  • From: "Kai" <kaixiong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 04:44:26 -0800

Greetings Dana.

Firstly: Might I add that I really dislike JFW's pronunciation of your
Secondly: Either a 16-bit or 24-bit wav file will do. And like I said,
if the wav file gets too big, you can always compress it.
Thirdly: I use several software packages for my audio mixing, and I'll
detail what I do with each below. Remember though, I'm no expert at
audio editing. I just do what I do as a hobby, so I'm pretty sure other
people will have quicker ways of doing things than I do.

Here's the list of applications:
Sound Forge 7.0 (
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=961 )::
This is a slightly outdated version (I think the latest is 8.3, or
something to that extent). This is the main program I use for my mixes.
The editing interface is very friendly, much like a word processor. It
also has very good effects controls (reverb, delay, chorus, noise gates,
pitch modulation, etc) which are all customizable, conversion methods
(say, from a 8-bit file to 16-bit, or mono to stereo, etc), sound file
processing (stripping empty space from the ends of files, time
compressing a file so that it will fit into a specific window of
duration, volume adjustments, etc), and quite a bit more. My version of
Sound Forge only supports DirectX plug-ins, but version 8+ supports VST,
I use the packaged scripts that come with JAWS, and can't really vouch
for Window-Eyes usage, since I don't own that product. With the package
JAWS scripts, there are still a few parts that remain slightly
inaccessible, and some parts that don't read as well as I'd like them
to. It is manageable though, and the program works amazingly well.

Gold Wave ( http://www.goldwave.com ): I use Gold Wave in tandem with
Sound Forge, because Gold Wave has nice noise filters, and a few other
effects that, while I could probably reproduce in Sound Forge, are
quicker to apply in Gold Wave. It's also about 10 times cheaper.
From creating stereo echoes, normalizing audio (I actually like Gold
Wave's normalization better than Sound Forge's), easy stereo panning
(which you can also fairly easily do in Sound Forge), noise reduction,
and batch conversion (applying an effect or technique to multiple files
at once), Gold Wave fills in the gaps where Sound Forge is either too
cumbersome to use, or doesn't support. Gold Wave supports DirectX
plug-ins, along with its own proprietary plug-in format. I don't think
it currently supports VST, sorry you MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital
Interface) lovers.
The program has worked well for me without any scripting required, and I
imagine that It'd work equally well in Window Eyes. All the menus and
dialogs are accessible, though the editing window could use a slight bit
of tweaking.

Audacity ( http://audacity.sourceforge.net ): While this open-source
sound-editing program isn't completely accessible (I still can't figure
out how to do a lot of things which involves using the main editing
window), it is very nice for doing multi-track recordings. Yes, I think
you could probably do that in Sound Forge, too, but Audacity just makes
it so much easier. It's also nice for doing voiceovers (you can
literally record on top of a background file without having to do manual
mixing). You can export the result into a single, mixed file or into
multiple, single-track files which you can mix later. It supports VST
and a couple of other plug-in formats, good for those who have a lot of
these software packages already.

HarddiskOgg ( www.fridgesoft.de ): This is a very small, very nimble
program that's made specifically for recording. It doesn't have any
effects or other utilities beyond normalization of the recorded
material, and it doesn't support any editing. It records, and that's all
it needs to do.
The program can record directly to OGG, MP3 (requires the lame.dll
file), wav, and a few other audio formats. If you're wanting to save
space while you're making live recordings, use this program. Since it
compresses as it records, you won't have to go in later and compress a
huge wav file, a productivity bonus.

A lot of blind people have also been touting Total Recorder (
www.highcriteria.com ) as a good recording package, though I've not had
much luck with it. The program is too proprietary in some of its
operations for my liking, and I haven't really sat down to try to learn
its various definitions, menus, dialogs, and what not.