[bct] Interactive tactile maps

  • From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:18:54 +0000

After going off in a huff a few weeks back I listened to Larry's reasonable
summary of the whole thing and I am back.

Also I have a question and this is the best place to ask it <smile>

I have been kicking around some ideas about a mind map tool for the blind.  For
those of you who don't know, mindmapping is a visual way to arrange concepts
and ideas as items of information joined by lines all laid out on a page.  It s
a very powerful tool for dealing woth complexoty and over the years we have
seen software packages to do the same.  When I could see I loved thios method
of working, brainstorming, building arguments and I miss it!

What I would like to see is a tool that dies this for the blind.  In essence i
see it as a database of concepts and the links between them.  You could add
cincept types, whether the links are one or twpo way and so on but basically it
is quite simple.

The interface would just be navigating around the links with audio or Braille
output and beinf able to modify it by dropping into an editing made at any
point.

Ot would demand more of the user in terms of holding a mental map of the mind
map in theor hjeads than sighted users of mind maps but we tend to be better at
that anyway.

I pushed this arounnd some email lists iver here and have some really good
feedback and offers of help and we may do a proof of concept.

The bit which I want to ask about is coming up now.  One guy who responded
windered if there is such a thing as an interactive tactile pad.  In other
owrds a big Braille display I guess with some areas that respond to input.  I
don't Braille so only have the vagest idea about these things but remeber the
podcast from APH on tactile diagrams and so thought I might get an answer here.

Glad to be back.
Graham