[bct] Hybrid car silence, a fly in the ointment

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 10:35:47 -0500

Well, I just thought of a problem with all our solutions.  How do many
people who are blind or have low vision know when to cross the street in
some cities?  they hear the beeping of the walk and don't walk signs as
we hear on Larry's podcasts.  How do people on country roads keep from
getting run over.  the driver is supposed to watch out for people in
many of these situations.  In other words, if I were an auto
manufacturer, I would say that it is up to cities and drivers to keep
people safe.  After all, there are a lot of quiet cars that are not
hybrid.  True, they are not as quiet, but I am guessing that there are a
lot of elderly people who don't hear them and thus they depend on the
noise of the walk and don't walk signs and they depend on the driver to
be aware of them on country roads.  So, if this is how the world works,
why would I as an auto manufacturer go to a lot of trouble and expense
to put in something that would not be needed if other people, namely
cities and drivers, did their job.  Actually, I think they would have a
good point.