[bct] Re: How accessible is Amazon?

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:25:52 -0400

I think that many of the other messages on this topic have pretty much said
it in different ways, but asking how accessible or how usable a given site
is really is such a subjective question that nobody can really answer it for
another user. It really depends on how experienced you are in using some of
the possibly more obscure navigation features of your screen access system
and even which screen access system you use. I don't know how many times
I've seen someone, usually angry, write to some list or other with a
statement that such-and-such a Web site is "completely inaccessible," which
often comes as a surprise to me because I've been using that site for years.
There was a flurry of exactly this kind of post immediately following
Audible.com's overhaul of their Web site last year and while many people
stated flatly that the new look site was completely inaccessible and
unusable, others were using it on a daily basis without any problems, other
than those posed by having to adjust to change. In short, when someone asks
how accessible a site or application is, the only really truthful and
accurate answer has to be, "It depends."

 --
 Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL
 walt@xxxxxxxxxx