[bct] Re: Holistic health-- auras - western medicine.

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 05:32:12 -0800 (PST)

What I find rambling may be different to you.  What you find rambling may be
different to me.  Point taken?  I have had focus cudgled into me because of my
life experience.

Self-admitted geniuses?  Please quote the text where I said I am a genius.
Frankly, having taken psychometry classes in my youth and having considered a
career in the field, I understand quite well that IQ is highly culturally
biased (see Chitlins test for an example) and I used to remonstrate gently with
my advisor that if I were so bloody bright why I had such problems with math -
and he humorously reminded me that potential is not performance.  My nephew has
a very high IQ, his sister a 100 IQ - she is far more educated and successful
that he simply because she tries harder.  Doesn't make her better or happier -
just better educated and a real go-getter in terms of hard work.

Just because you don't like not having the upper hand in a debate does not mean
I won't challenge you when you are casting groundless apsersions.   Throwing
down a gauntlet to someone to "prove it" is one thing in court, where one has
an obligation to develop legal theories and support them with evidence of one
kind or another, but quite another in a conversation or a verbal debate.  In
court, one can testify to personal experience.  In this forum you appear to
discount personal experience but wish to go with skeptic.com and scientific
papers of various kinds.  That is not the be all and end all of things and we
should be thankful for that or there would be no planes because everyone knows
that humans cannot fly.  (smile)

Actually, Jeff, in multisate tort law, there is no obligation to save someone
unless one has some specific skills, however, if one begins an attempt to save
someone then there is an obligation to carry through.  Hence, if one sees
another drowning but does not begin an attempt to help and has no specific duty
to help such as being a parent or someone who threw the other in the water,
then one does not have to begin a rescue.  Also, if one would also endanger
themselves (they cannot swim and would also drown) then that is an exemption
from attempting to save someone, although they may be required to at least send
for help, but that is not a rescue in and of itself.  State laws can refine
this a bit and the MN law you refer to has made it a petty misdemeanor not to
provide assistance at the scene of an emergency.  However, it is not an
emergency situation regarding referral of a person to another doctor, it is a
matter of judgment - especially if no one is bleeding.  At any rat
 e, Good
 Sam. laws like those in MN were created to make it easier for doctors and
other medical personnel to provide care without fear of being sued.  (see below
sig line for explanation of statute).

As to my superior research skills, I will admit to that after working in
Internet research for a few years, including about 2 years as a Westlaw
representative.  Westlaw is a legal research company and my job was to assist
law students learn how to use the program and do rapid research with results
that fit their needs.  I also do professional research for  lawyers and courts.
 One of my memorandums was revised and just published in a law review.  So I
will lay claim to superior research skills in that regard and I'm happy to have
those accellerated skills.

As to being a life coach, I'm not going in that direction, thank you.  And
being sarcastic doesn't really score you any debating points.  I don't watch TV
except for the occassional history/weather channel/TLC/Discovery sort of

Slithy (MN law explanation below sig line)

   Duty to Assist: A person at the scene of an emergency who knows that another
person is exposed to or has suffered grave physical harm shall, to the extent
that the person can do so without danger or peril to self or others, give
reasonable assistance to the exposed person. Reasonable assistance may include
obtaining or attempting to obtain aid from law enforcement or medical
personnel. A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a petty
   General immunity from liability: A person who, without compensation or the
expectation of compensation, renders emergency care, advice, or assistance at
the scene of an emergency or during transit to a location where professional
medical care can be rendered, is not liable for any civil damages as a result
of acts of omissions by that person in rendering the emergency care, advice, or
assistance, unless the person acts in a willful and wanton or reckless manner
in providing the care, advice, or assistance. This subdivision does not apply
to a person rendering emergency care, advice, or assistance during the course
or regular employment, and receiving compensation or expecting to receive
compensation for rendering the care, advice, or assistance.