[bct] Hey Larry

  • From: randy gilkey <randy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:58:01 -0500

Hey Larry Randy here, I wanted to ask you a question. Do you remember a computer program for the apple2e called words? I think I am wanting to relive my childhood or something, I was reading some old rdc news letters on the net, and I saw a mention of a program that you wrote called words. This issue was from 1985 you were probably in your late 20s like I am now. I'm not a computer programmer like yourself, but I used to use an old apple 2e and the echo plus software in school. I sometimes wish I could have owned that system it was pretty great for the time. Back to rdc for a minute, it also mentioned Compuserve and getting on line. I know computers have changed allot over the years, but in a way their still the same. I know we can use allot more mainstream software now days, but it still seems we must still use some kind of special software to make it work. It seemed like back in the 80s different computers excelled at different things. For example the old commodore 64 could do some nice music, the apple was used allot in the blindness community and you had the Tandy and ibm and all of the other's. Now their's only three different operating systems, I wonder why. I mean I know their are other's besides the three but you never here about them. What if you could design a computer from the ground up that was built for blind people. I mean you could make it so a sighted person could use it also, but what if you wrote the operating system and the software all for blind folks like us. The computer could have all of the things we use now, but it could be optimized for blind folks. Imagine a computer Ware the whole thing works and all of your programs have speech and Braille, and their was an accessible recording package and dvd and every thing Else that a blind computer user would want. I know such a computer would be expensive at first, but think about it for a minute, google is getting ready to make a low cost computer with their own operating system. I know I'm rambling a bit I just have Ben thinking about my computer past and present. I have only Ben using a computer for about a year now, I used to have the apple in school. When I graduated in 1994 I did not mess with a computer again until November of 2004. I had a friend of mine download the 40 minute demo of jaws and I haven't looked back. My state rehab is getting ready to help me get jaws and cakewalk and the cake talking scripts for my recording studio which is not accessible to me yet. My cousin is helping me with it now, but I don't know we are kind of going in different directions and I'm going to have to learn how to run the recording software myself. I'm a little nervous to say the least, what if I have a major crash during an important session, and then I can't see the screen to fix the problem. Oh well I just wanted to wrap a little with you all, and tell you what is going threw my blind computing mind. Talk to you soon.

Email services by FreedomBox. Surf the Net at the sound of your voice. www.freedombox.info