[bct] Re: Hershey's/cadburys

  • From: Steve Matzura <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 06:08:56 -0400

I promised myself I would *NOT* post a message to any thread on this
list that was not BCT-related, but I gotta break my own rule when it
comes to giving any praise whatsoever to American chocolate, with the
possible exception of Giradelli, made in San Francisco.

My first encounter with Cadbury was in the 70's when a friend of mine
and I, on the prowl for something to eat late-night, found an entire
shelf of the sutff, virtually untouched, in a local supermarket.  Both
of us being confirmed chocoholics, we picked up a good sampling of the
stuff, some with nuts for my friend, without for me.  I can't say
about my friend, but I've never gone back to American chocolate after
that first experience.\
Unfortunately, like everything else, when Cadbury was purchased by
Schwepps, they changed something about their formula and their
chocolate base product was never quite as good. On top of that,they
dropped one of my favorite varieties, the one with mint cream inside
that broke apart into these nice oblong single-bite-sized pieces.  Not
quite exactly the same, but still about the best commercial chocolate

Now, you wanna talk fancy imported chocolate?  It's Belgian, or bust.
They make the best beer, too, made by monks I seem to remember--can't
remember the name though.  Oh yes, Simay or Shimay or something like