[bct] Hello to all

  • From: "Vince Thacker" <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:15:42 -0000

Hi everyone

While it's relatively quiet, and my BlindCoolTech folder is actually empty
<gasp!>, I thought it would be good to introduce myself. I've already pitched
in to reply to one or two posts, but haven't said hello, so here goes.

I'm Vince, living in Leicester, UK, a place about as land-locked as you can get
in the UK, about 150 miles north of London.

I first came across BlindCooleTech when Larry was demonstrating a talking tape
measure - hey, not computer stuff, I thought, that makes a change! And Larry
explained it all so thoroughly and calmly I ended up wanting one.

Soon I was hearing about musicians with synaesthesia, audio equipment, audio
games, healing and all kinds of slices of life that contributors let us share.
I was pretty well hooked after a few podcasts and have been astonished by the
range and depth of it all. My podcatcher has 60 or so podcasts listed in it -
too much stuff to listen to in any ordinary week - and BlindCoolTech is always
one of the must-listens.

Not sure whether I'll ever make a podcast myself, as I'm not sure I've got that
much to say, though ideas keep on popping up. For example, even in this boring
glove-making town in the Midlands, I'm living on top of about 3,000 years of
history and there might be something of interest there. Also there are some
good places to record environmental sound, like the river walk I sometimes take
into town. There again, this has become an amazingly multi-cultural city, so
there are Hindu festivals, and the Caribbean Carnival and many more events.

And it's occurred to me that I might have a slightly different take from some
other people on accessibility issues. I'm in the process of losing my sight,
but still rely to some extent on my residual vision. I have to re-learn all
kinds of everyday tasks as I go. On the computer, factosrs such as font sizes
and colour contrasts are more important to me than they would be to a totally
blind person, so I need different coping strategies. So, who knows, maybe I'll
have plenty to talk about after all!

I don't have Jaws or Window Eyes or the likes yet, though I'm starting to use
speech-based software  more and more. When I get tired of trying to read with
my eyes I often paste text into ReadPlease and get it spoken to me. If I'm
desperate I even use Windows Narrator at times, with the dreaded Microsoft Sam.

I'm almost reluctant to mention being a musical person, as it's such a
stereotype to be blind and musical! Anyway, there it is, and if I get set up
with my didgital recorder soon, I might convert some old cassettes of my
keyboard and synth stuff to digital format and send them off to Podsafe or

That's more than enough from this quarter, I'm sure. I'll look forward to being
part of this amazing group.

Good wishes,