[bct] Re: HTML podcast

  • From: Jennifer Sutton <jensutton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:49:52 -0500

Lisa's list is a great list for people starting, but I think it may be important to point out that the Web has evolved, considerably, since the publication dates of some of the books listed. in fact, for people getting started, I would recommend learning XHTML since it will make your pages more current, standards-compliant, and transformable over time. HTML can be transformed, indeed, but XHTML and Cascading Style Sheets are a better way to go in the long run. Web standards build upon each other.

For those in the U.S., there are many books on Bookshare.org; the O'Reilly and Associates, Inc. books would be the best, I believe. Also, for those who wish to focus on Web accessibility, I'd try to get something more current, including, perhaps, looking on Amazon.com and trying to locate authors to ask for electronic copies directly from them.

Just my two cents. Again, Lisa's list is a good one for starters, but technology evolves at an extraordinary pace, so it's best to keep up-to-date. I haven't yet listened to the podcast, but I'm looking forward to it. The basics are helpful, no matter what.

Finally, let me give my plug for learning how to validate. It's important, and not everyone seems to know about it or how to do it. Validate early and often, and use a Document Type Definition.