[bct] Ground rules for BCT list

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:38:41 -0600

No, NO, don't worry, there are no earth shattering changes coming.  But,
I do have a few things to say about how I will be running the list and
what I need all of you to do to help keep this a very worthwhile list
from witch we can all learn.

1.  Although this list was set up to talk about the podcast on the APH
site, we all know that it has taken on a life beyond that.  As Larry
said in his message, we both think this is good.  So, for the most part,
the list will continue to operate the way it has with non-podcast
subjects welcome.  But, let's keep something in mind as we do this.
There are people on the list who may not want to read some or all of the
non-podcast entries.  Yes, they can hit the delete key if they don't
want to read a message.  They can also view the messages by topic and
delete in a more efficient way.   But there are some things that will
make the list more efficient for all of us.  And this leads me to number
two.

2.  Any subject that becomes so prolonged that it begins to totally take
over list traffic may get a suggestion from me to take it off list.  i
don't want this to be a deterrent for people so they feel they can not
answer messages about a subject.  So, answer away.  My suggestion to
take it off list will not be a criticism of any one person, but a mere
suggestion that the topic is strong enough to stand on its own in
another forum and should do so.

3.  Lets all try to be open-minded in our discussions of issues.  In
fact, if there is an issue I feel is too controversial for the list, I
will once again suggest that you move it to another  forum.  An example
of this is the recent conversation on religion.  While this list will be
open to a lot of things that people have to offer, I do feel the need to
keep a close watch on controversial subjects which have nothing to do
with the premise of this list.  Again, I'm not meaning to offend people
when I ask that something be taken off list, I just need to keep the
list directed toward its overall goal.  Of course, the goal is quite
wide in what people will be discussing, so there is no hard and fast
rule about what is appropriate.  But, whenever I think that there is a
more appropriate forum for a particular discussion, especially a
controversial one, I will suggest that you take it else where.

4.  I would also suggest that people keep a close watch on message
subjects and be willing to change them if what they are adding warrants
this.  It is very easy to simply reply to a message and over time, the
actual subject of the message no longer fits the content of the message.
For example, there might be a subject called "MP3 recorders."  I want to
reply to something someone said in this message, but what I want to talk
about is the voice activation of the particular recorder I am using.
So, I simply rename the subject something like "Voice activation on MP3
recorders."  This will make it easier for all of us who have busy lives
to know whether or not we want to open the message.

Well, that just about covers it.  I look forward to a very healthy list
which can teach us all a lot of things that no one of us could learn all
by ourselves.  After all, that's what list friends are good at, and you
have all been exceptional in that regard.  So, let's keep up the good
work and keep this list alive and well.  By the way, you will still send
your notice of a podcast you have up loaded to Larry and not to me.

See you all on the list.

Neal Ewers
Ravenswood Productions
Local phone:  608-277-1995