[bct] Great keyboard for Braillenote

  • From: "Angie Matney" <Angie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:12:57 -0400

I am not currently subscribed to the BrailleNote list, so if anyone wants to
forward this to that list, feel free to do so. (In
fact, you can pass it on to anyone who might find it useful.)

I've been trying to find a good external keyboard for my BrailleNote mPower for
some time. I don't like the BN's loud,
clanky keys. I'm glad to have them for situations where I need braille entry,
but I wanted something else for taking notes.

I initially tried a roll-up rubbery kind of USB keyboard that I got for $20 at
CompUSA. I had the larger model that I used
with a laptop until it died a few months later. I was hesitant to buy the
smaller one for the BN, but I really wanted a
different keyboard. Sadly, my keyboard's space bar died after about a month of
loyal service.

I then bit the bullet and bought the Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard from
ThinkOutside (I hear Del's PDA keyboard is a re-
branded version of this one; I don't know if that's true or not). Anyway, This
keyboard is excellent. I didn't think I would
like it, since you have to press a key in conjunction with the keys on the
"qwerty" row to type numbers. But this is easily
done. Also, the Question mark is typed by pressing shift + right-arrow. This is
good, because the right arrow is where the
slash is on a normal keyboard. In summary, this is an excellent keyboard. But
it can be kind of expensive, and I have
found that my BN's connection with it is sometimes finnicky.

I just received a Targus folding USB keyboard that I ordered from
www.toshibadirect.com. The keyboard was $34.99
plus shipping and tax. I think it was around $45. I think it could be just the
think I'm looking for. It's about the size of the
ThinkOutside keyboard--just a tiny bit larger. It has a retractable USB cable,
which is not at all what I was expecting. The
cable is wrapped around a reel in such a way that as you pull it out, it
extends at both ends and locks into place. When
you finish with it, you just pull a little on the end connected to the BN, and
it retracts automatically. This is hard to explain,
but it's a really neat design and lets you lengthen the cord enough to get it
out of your way. Also, this cable detaches
from the keyboard, so it should be easy to replace if that is necessary.

The keys are a nice size--full PC size. The keyboard doesn't have the standard
arrow keys. It has something like a
PDA's navigation key in the bottom right corner that acts like the arrow keys.
This means that the slash, etc., is where it
"should" be. The only thing I don't like about this keyboard is that for some
reason, the top row is moved farther to the
right than it should be. The top row consists of escape, the number keys, and a
few other things. The number row will
take a bit of getting used to. But some might prefer this to the Stowaway's
method of doubling up the numbers with the
"qwerty" row. The Targus also has page up and page down keys on the right side.
These keys are smaller than normal
keys, but they are very easy to find.

Here are the pros for the Targus keyboard:

* much cheaper than a bluetooth keyboard;
* Doesn't require batteries or drain your BN's battery as much as bluetooth
does;
* Has arrows and page up/down keys that are immediately tactilly
distinguishable;
* has detachable retractable cable that will be very easy to transport;
* most keys are where they should be;
* should work right away with the BN.

I do still like the Stowaway keyboard, and I'll probably still use it on
occasion. I might start using it more with my PC,
though, since I can use this new one with the BN. I'm really impressed with
this new Targus keyboard.

Here is the link to the keyboard:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?seg=HHO&poid=311408

Angie