[bct] Great Podcast on Mixers

  • From: "Kelly Pierce" <kellyjosef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:00:54 -0600

Recently, Neil and others discussed mixers. Many of us listen to Michael Carrino of the Digital Media Cast Experiment. for those who don't subscribe, he discusses on his podcast basic audio production and program presentation. I just finished listening to a recent podcast on mixers, which can be downloaded from the URL:

If you haven't heard this, it is well worth the listen, which is why I am sharing the resource here. After explaining why a listener's Radio Shack mixer dusted off from his closet is certainly usable but not desirable for podcasting, Michael compared comparable Barrenger and Mackie mixers. he specifically explained why one would pay $250 more for the Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO than the comparable Baringer unit. the Berringer unit costs about $50 while the referenced mackie runs about $300. The Berringer unit is the UB-802.

Neil, are you familiar with the Berringer UB-802? is it as accessible as the mackie unit? Also, are there more differences between the two than not having to mix digital sounds into analog and then back into digital again, degrading quality, so one can monitor audio being mixed?