[bct] Re: Good old days of computers

  • From: "Missy Hoppe" <melissah@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:50:10 -0500

Hi! I'm not exactly sure what my first computer was, but I do know that it
was given to me by my 7th grade math teacher. I don't know what speech was
used, although thinking back, it sounded like an Echo. Anyway, I mostly
remember it because my teacher wrote most of the software that talked
himself; it was really cool, at least it was back then. :)
Then, I moved up in the world and got an Apple 2GS computer. Again, given
the time period, that was really great! I can still remember playing all
kinds of games on that computer, not to mention writing school assignments
using Proword.
Around that same time, I also had a Portabraille. I guess you could say it
was my first laptop. It was nice to have, but i can remember losing data
more than once.
I honestly can't remember when I got my first IBM compatible system, but I
think it was during my junior or senior year of high school. I don't
remember much about it, but I think it had 16 MB of ram and a 2400 baud
internal modem. I also got a Braille 'n Speak around that time, and that
was the technology i used pretty much up until 1997 or so.
Next, I had a Braille Companion and a Gateway 200 MHZ system. Those were
fine until the summer of 2002 when I got the computer I have now: a 1.7 GHZ
model with 512 MB of ram. My intention with the purchase of this new system
was that I'd never outgrow it. I guess time will tell on that one. :)