[bct] Re: Good old days of computers

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:34:48 -0800

Hi list,

My first PC was given to me as an experiment; I think it was an original iBM PC and it was put in my office so I could hook up the VersaBraille to it. In those days we didn't have a method of linking a PC directly to the office network, because everything at the office was still hooked up to main frames; so we installed a second phone line in my office, hooked up a slow 300 baud modem with an acoustic coupler, and dialed in. A bit like going around the house fifteen times just to find the door! I never got the thing to do anything productive, but at least I learned how to turn the thing on and off, learned one or two DOS commands and dialed in and stayed connected for about 30 seconds. I don't know what happened to all that old stuff; I know we cancelled the phone line after a year or so.

Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson
Podcast feed: emerson.libsyn.com/rss