[bct] Re: Good old days of computers

  • From: Krister Ekstrom <krister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:15:30 +0100

Well, i'm very modern compared to you. The first computer like thingy i had was an Eureka A4. Dunno how much internal memory it had, but you could log on to bbs-es with the wapping speed of 300 bps. Downloading 120 K with X-modem took an hour and the phone company charged you by the minute... well, those were the days. <sigh>

/Krister

The Scarlet Wombat wrote:
As long as we are talking about the good old days, my first computer, not mine personally but the first one I programmed and worked on, was a Bendix G-15. It was a four by four by six foot cubeic like structure full of, yes, vacuum tubes. It had a spinning drum with a whopping 2k of memory, nothing like RAM at all. It spoke only binary and used punch tape. Sometimes, I thought my slide rule was faster.

Dan