[bct] Re: Good old days of computers

  • From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:58:39 +0000

Vacuum tubes? - Luxury!  W used to dream of vacuum tubes <smile>

>>> coconut@xxxxxxx 03/12/06 05:25pm >>>
As long as we are talking about the good old days, my first computer, not
mine personally but the first one I programmed and worked on, was a Bendix
G-15.  It was a four by four by six foot cubeic like structure full of,
yes, vacuum tubes.  It had a spinning drum with a whopping 2k of memory,
nothing like RAM at all.  It spoke only binary and used punch
tape.  Sometimes, I thought my slide rule was faster.

Dan