[bct] Re: Good old days of computers

  • From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:03:57 -0600

Debee, are you talking about the Software Automatic Mouth? I heard a demo of that on www.pdaudio.net , and it sounded pretty bad.
Jake
----- Original Message ----- From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 12 March, 2006 7:20 PM
Subject: [bct] Re: Good old days of computers

My first computer was a TRS-80 model 1 with a real Radio Shack speech
synthesizer. I wrote some silly little program for that to speak things but
I couldn't read the screen. That speech sounded like a martian in a tin can.

The second computer was a TRS-80 model 100, a genuine laptop with an 8-line
LCD and a really great keyboard. It ran on AA batteries and had both a
parallel and a serial port. I couldn't read its screen either but I wrote a
program to read me the screen in morse code. I didn't know CW very well, but
I got a lot better at it reading that computer's little screen.

--Debee