[bct] Re: Ghostcast?

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:11:54 -0700

I feel like a ghost.  I have been wanting to submit a career cast, but, I am
a real neophyte when it comes to digital recording.  My husband got an
Olympus DS2 digital recorder as a gift recently and although I have not
really used it for anything, it looks like I might be able to do so without
too much difficulty.  This is not a DS200 like some of you seem to have.
However, I really have not played with this at all and I don't know if I
will be successful.

My computer has Windows XP home and there is a program on the computer
called sonic recorder, but again, I know nothing about it, all my experience
recording have been analog, most recently with a handheld Sony cassette

From the discussions out there, I understand the Olympus records in DMA
format and that you need MP3 format to be a pod cast.

Now for the questions, and trust me, I have plenty of them.

First, how best to record a cast on my career, obviously cassette tape isn't
going to work but it is what I know.

Secondly, if I do use the Olympus DS2 which my husband has for meetings and
such, how would I go about converting the file to a usable MP3?

Third, if I manage all that, what do I do with the file next?

As I said, I am a complete neophyte in this area, I am used to transcribing
from digital files, but have no idea how to create or manipulate them, and
editing... Well, we don't want to go there yet.

I do have a USB headset and microphone, I have never used the microphone
portion to date, but my older computer did not have earphone jacks in the
front and so I had the USB hooked up through a hub, this newer computer does
have jacks on the front.

I am also trying to talk my husband into a career cast, I am a long-time
medical transcriptionist and computer buff, sort of, and my husband has
worked in a few things but is currently working at the local hospital help
desk and obtaining a Master's degree in information system management.  I am
totally blind and he is high partial.  I just need the real basics on how to
begin this, and no, I am not interested in starting my own podcast, I have
all I can do to keep up with the few I am subscribed to.

Helpful hints, websites and such will be appreciated.

My E-mail as at the bottom of this message.

Rose Combs