[bct] Re: Getting the hang of mixing

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:57:05 -0600

Jamie, I always wait until I have audio and music mixed before I
normalize.  The reason for this is best given in an example.  I want my
speech to be as high as possible so I normalize it to 0 DB.  But now I
have a problem.  I may want my music to begin playing at the perceived
same volume of the speech and then fade down below the speech when the
speech begins.  But, the music is composed of more bass and treble and
may register higher on the meters.  So, if I try to make the beginning
of the music sound like the same overall volume of the speech, the music
is now distorted, because it is actually higher than 0 DB in order to
have the two sounds match.  Of course, others may have different ways of
doing this.  What problems did you have when doing the normalization