[bct] Fwd: Billing Issues

  • From: Scott Howell <s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 06:41:59 -0500

Folks, I'm sure you good folks know a scam when you read one, but I'm passing this along as fyi. Now what I also wanted to include is the raw html of the message because what was interesting to me is the web address they want you to click on. I used a tool called host and retrieved the domain associated with the ip address and you can bet it doesn't go to Ebay's page.
Check this out.

Ebay.com has address domain name pointer softbank221078186237.bbtec.net.

So as you can tell, its rather apparent your being directed to a site where they would get you to enter information they can harvest and steal your money etc. or whatever. I believe there is a tool for windows that will do the same thing. If your ever wondering if a site might be legit, you can sometimes do a dns lookup and find out what the ip is. You can resolve the ip back and get the domain this is a reverse lookup. There's all kinds of tricks and Ebay probably has more than one ip, but gee if your going to screw with people, make it a little harder.
Hope this info was of some use to someone.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "support@xxxxxxxx" <support@xxxxxxxx>
Date: February 4, 2006 4:50:36 AM EST
Subject: Billing Issues

procedures, we have detected a slight error in your billing information.</p>
of address).<br>
<strong>2.</strong> Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up
<strong>3.</strong> An inability to accurately verify your selected option of
payment due to an internal error within our processors.</p>
then your ability to use eBay will become restricted.</p>
eBay, Inc.</p>