Here's this week's edition of Top Tech Tidbits. I used the calculator
discussed in item 1.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dean Martineau" <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 24 February, 2006 3:41 AM
Subject: Top Tech tidbits for thursday, February 23, 2005
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, February 23, 2006
There will be several news items that won't get into this week's newsletter because of travel and other deadlines. It's already Friday!
1) If you want to hear what the Speech Plus Calculator, sold in the 70's by Telesensory Systems, can do, here is a web site demonstrating it: http://www.bluegrasspals.com/speechplus
2) Tutorials for learning music by ear are available at http://www.musicvi.com/
3)Read about the soon-to-be-released Sanyo induction heat-type cooking stove with voice navigation and voice and musical alerts: http://www.popgadget.net/2006/02/cooking_stove_w_1.php#trackbacks
4) Skylook is a program used in conjunction with the popular chat system Skype and with Microsoft Outlook to record Skype calls. Hear an interview with the creator of Skylook by going to the 15 February program for this Melbourne radio station: http://www.rrr.org.au/byteintoit
5) EASI will launch its second podcast on 3 March. this regular broadcast will be entitled "It's about People, not Technology." http://easi.cc/podcasts/
6) The National Conference on Reuse of Assistive Technology will be
held in Atlanta, Georgia, US, from 8-10 May 2006. For more information e-mail
7) Winamp version 5.2, a major upgrade for this popular media player, is available. One easy place to get it is http://www.whitestick.co.uk/download.html
8) You can read a review of Windows Defender Beta, mentioned in last week's Tidbits, here: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windefender_beta2.asp
9) Two articles have been added to the Gw Micro Knowledgebase. Window-Eyes and Remote Desktop http://gwmicro.com/Support/Knowledge_Base/?kbnumber=GWKB1042 and ZoomText Not Tracking Focus with Window-Eyes: http://gwmicro.com/Support/Knowledge_Base/?kbnumber=GWKB1041
10) Sean Randall has written a program called Burgeon, especially useful for people who run their screen reader from a usb drive. It creates lists of programs to run easily. http://www.randylaptop.com/projects/burgeon/
11) Rockbox is an open-source project to improve the operation of disk-based mp3 players. One result is making those players much more accessible. According to this announce,ent, Rockbox can be added to the 4 GB IPod. http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodPort
Visit the Tidbits page at www.topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.htm where you can subscribe to the rss feed and grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That's the news for this week.
Feel fre to forward intact copies of this newsletter, so others can subscribe. To subscribe, send a blank message to tttt-join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and reply to the confirmatory message. Aspiring subscribers can also go to http://topdotenterprises.com/mailman/listinfo/tttt_topdotenterprises.com
To leave the list, send a blank message to tttt-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and reply to the confirmatory message.
If you have a news item, handy web page or piece of software you want to recommend, concerning adaptive technology, technology as it relates to the blind, or Internet audio, send it to me for inclusion next time.
List archives are available to members at http://topdotenterprises.com/mailman/private/tttt_topdotenterprises.com/
Inclusion of information in tttt does not imply any endorsement of products or services mentioned, or even that the content of the announcement is accurate. (Often, I do not verify the accuracy of the announcements.) Having said this, most are accurate and useful.
TTTT is a free service of Top Dot Enterprises, Copyright (c) 2004, 2005, Top Dot Enterprises.
Dean Martineau Top Dot Enterprises 2219 Rucker Ave #204 Everett WA 98201 (425) 876-4406 dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.topdotenterprises.com
-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 268.1.0/269 - Release Date: 2/24/2006