[bct] Re: Fw: Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, February 9, 2006

  • From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:54:51 -0600

Dean does an excellent job. I remember back in the days of Raised Dot Computing, he used to be on staff there. I got their newsletters on cassette, and he recorded some of the articles. I'm off to check out the new JAWS scripting group that he mentions.
Jake
----- Original Message ----- From: "beth" <fb-oe@xxxxxxx>
Top Tech tidbits for Thursday, February 9, 2006

1) Shaun Everiss has started a mailing list, primarily but not
exclusively for discussing old computer equipment.  to join, send a
message to the address below, and put the word subscribe in the subject
field
techrubbish-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

2) The American Foundation for the Blind will publish the
first  AccessWorld Guide to Assistive Technology Products.  the book
will appear in March on disk and in print and will cost $24.95.

3)  Independent Living Aids, in conjunction, I believe, with a Swiss
organization, is marketing the Milestone mp3 player/recorder for
$365.00.  the unit features accessible navigation and the ability to
store audio files in its 256 megs of built-in memory or on a cf
card.  You can listen to a presentation on the device and read more
about it here:
http://accessible-devices.com/milestonerecorder.html

4)  Top Speed2 is a car racing game with impressive sound effects and
an enthusiastic community of players.  the game is free from
http://playinginthedark.net/

5) Gw Micro, maker of window-Eyes,  and Libera, maker of the System
7, a case management application, have announced that they have
collaborated to make this case management system accessible to blind
social service employees.

6)  A new mailing list for those interested in learning to write
scripts for JAWS has been created, called Scriptography.  Read about it
here

7)  OPAL and LibraryU present the Day of the Digital Audio Book on
Ghursday, 16 February.  Presentations and self-paced modules will
take place throughout the day.  Free, but registration requested:
http://learning.libraryu.org/LULiveReg/LULiveReg.asp

8) window-Eyes users report that the menu system in the cd burning
program Nero Burning Rom, which was formerly not accessible, now
works wel in window-Eyes with version 7.0.5.4.

9)   The February, 2006 issue of the Braille Monitor contains a
review of the three accessible gps systems available for blind travelers:
http://www.nfb.org/bm/bm06/bm0602/bm060206.htm

10)  If By Phone is a new interactive phone service trying to get
started.  You can call the US toll-free number 866-350-9836 or visit
http://www.ifbyphone.com/

11)  I got the month wrong for the AccessTechnologyInstitute
presentation on the Audacity audio editor, but not the day.  You
haven't missed it! It's coming up on Tuesday, 14 February at 01:00
GMT. I always give times in  GmT, and this event takes place at the
beginning of Tuesday even though North Americans will experience it
on Monday.

12)  Jonathan Mosen shares a link to a site that contains the audio
feeds for all the many BBC channels in one accessible place.
http://dave.org.uk/streams/

13)  In the 30 January entry on his blog, Jonathan discussed software
designed to turn gext into mp3 or other digital audio formats so one
can listen to it in a portable player, burn it to cd, and such.
http://www.mosenexplosion.com/

Thanks to those who reported the problem with the web edition last
time.  It was corrected during the week.

Visit the Tidbits page at www.topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.htm where
you can subscribe to the rss feed and grab back issues.  All that
welcome information for future issues can come to me at
dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's the news for this week.

Feel fre to forward intact copies of this newsletter, so others can
subscribe.  To subscribe, send a blank message to
tttt-join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and reply to the confirmatory message.
Aspiring subscribers can also go to
http://topdotenterprises.com/mailman/listinfo/tttt_topdotenterprises.com

To leave the list, send a blank message to
tttt-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and reply to the confirmatory message.

If you have a news item, handy web page or piece of software you want to
recommend, concerning adaptive technology, technology as it relates to the
blind, or Internet audio, send it to me for inclusion next time.

List archives are available to members at
http://topdotenterprises.com/mailman/private/tttt_topdotenterprises.com/

Inclusion of information in tttt does not imply any endorsement of
products or services mentioned, or even that the content of the announcement
is accurate. (Often, I do not verify the accuracy of the announcements.)
Having said this, most are accurate and useful.

TTTT is a free service of Top Dot Enterprises, Copyright (c) 2004, 2005,
Top Dot Enterprises.

Dean Martineau Top Dot Enterprises 2219 Rucker Ave #204 Everett WA 98201 (425) 876-4406 dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.topdotenterprises.com