[bct] Fw: Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, February 9, 2006

  • From: "beth" <fb-oe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:02:31 -0500

I get this every Thursday, so may many of you, but there were some things
we've been discussing in this one, so I sent along the newsletter this time.
Beth

> [...]
> $365.00.  the unit features accessible navigation and the ability to
> store audio files in its 256 megs of built-in memory or on a cf
> card.  You can listen to a presentation on the device and read more
> about it here:
> http://accessible-devices.com/milestonerecorder.html
>
> 4)  Top Speed2 is a car racing game with impressive sound effects and
> an enthusiastic community of players.  the game is free from
> http://playinginthedark.net/
>
> 5) Gw Micro, maker of window-Eyes,  and Libera, maker of the System
> 7, a case management application, have announced that they have
> collaborated to make this case management system accessible to blind
> social service employees.
>
> 6)  A new mailing list for those interested in learning to write
> scripts for JAWS has been created, called Scriptography.  Read about it
here

> 7)  OPAL and LibraryU present the Day of the Digital Audio Book on
> Ghursday, 16 February.  Presentations and self-paced modules will
> take place throughout the day.  Free, but registration requested:
> http://learning.libraryu.org/LULiveReg/LULiveReg.asp
>
> 8) window-Eyes users report that the menu system in the cd burning
> program Nero Burning Rom, which was formerly not accessible, now
> works wel in window-Eyes with version 7.0.5.4.
>
> 9)   The February, 2006 issue of the Braille Monitor contains a
> review of the three accessible gps systems available for blind travelers:
> http://www.nfb.org/bm/bm06/bm0602/bm060206.htm
>
> 10)  If By Phone is a new interactive phone service trying to get
> started.  You can call the US toll-free number 866-350-9836 or visit
> http://www.ifbyphone.com/
>
> 11)  I got the month wrong for the AccessTechnologyInstitute
> presentation on the Audacity audio editor, but not the day.  You
> haven't missed it! It's coming up on Tuesday, 14 February at 01:00
> GMT. I always give times in  GmT, and this event takes place at the
> beginning of Tuesday even though North Americans will experience it
> on Monday.
>
> 12)  Jonathan Mosen shares a link to a site that contains the audio
> feeds for all the many BBC channels in one accessible place.
> http://dave.org.uk/streams/
>
> 13)  In the 30 January entry on his blog, Jonathan discussed software
> designed to turn gext into mp3 or other digital audio formats so one
> can listen to it in a portable player, burn it to cd, and such.
> http://www.mosenexplosion.com/
>
> Thanks to those who reported the problem with the web edition last
> time.  It was corrected during the week.
>
> Visit the Tidbits page at www.topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.htm where
> you can subscribe to the rss feed and grab back issues.  All that
> welcome information for future issues can come to me at
> dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> That's the news for this week.
>
> Feel fre to forward intact copies of this newsletter, so others can
subscribe.  To subscribe, send a blank message to
tttt-join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and reply to the confirmatory message.
Aspiring subscribers can also go to
http://topdotenterprises.com/mailman/listinfo/tttt_topdotenterprises.com

tttt-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and reply to the confirmatory message.

> If you have a news item, handy web page or piece of software you want to
recommend,  concerning adaptive technology, technology as it relates to the
blind, or Internet audio, send it to me for inclusion next time.

http://topdotenterprises.com/mailman/private/tttt_topdotenterprises.com/

> Inclusion of information in tttt does not imply any endorsement of
products or services mentioned, or even that the content of the announcement
is accurate.  (Often, I do not verify the accuracy of the announcements.)
Having said this, most are accurate and useful.

> TTTT is a free service of Top Dot Enterprises, Copyright (c) 2004, 2005,
Top Dot Enterprises.