[bct] Re: Fw: CAPTCHA the Internet

  • From: "Darrell Shandrow" <nu7i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:07:01 -0700

Hi Brent,

Have you contacted someone at your bank and let them know that this means you
are denied participation in online banking?  Not sure just changing to another
bank, which might soon just do the same thing, is the way to handle it.
Doesn't FDIC, FTC, Federal Reserve or anyone like that have anything to say
about this?

A+, CSSA, Network+!
Visit http://www.petitiononline.com/captcha and sign the Google Word
Verification Accessibility Petition today!
Information should be accessible to us without need of translation by another
person.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006

    CAPTCHA the Internet

    CAPTCHA (an acronym for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell
    Computers and Humans Apart") has been on my mind ever since Phil Windley
    suggested a graphical CAPTCHA would make a good web service. I thought there
    might be those willing to pay to use it. Well, it's been done.

    There is a need for this type of test. Yahoo! and Hotmail use a CAPTCHA to
    stave off spammers when a user requests an email account. I suspect the most
    common use is on other sites is an attempt block automated comment spam in
    blogs.

    CAPTCHA excludes legitimate users

    As the W3C points out graphical CAPTCHAs are a significant barrier to
    low-vision and blind users. Those with learning disabilities, such as
    dyslexia, may also be adversely affected. As visual CAPTCHAs become more
    sophisticated, busy, patterned background becomes more of an issue for
    color-blind users.

    The U.S. Census Bureau estimated that in 1997 about 7.7 million Americans
    had difficulty seeing the words and letters in an ordinary newspaper. The
    American Foundation for the blind reported about 5 in 1,000 Americans are
    legally blind, and gives a low estimate of 1.5 million visually impaired
    computer users. That's a fairly significant potential market to ignore.

    Requiring users to interpret a visual CAPTCHA may lead to legal challenges.
    Earlier this month, the National Federation for the Blind filed suit against
    Target, claiming target.com discriminates by not being accessible to
    visually impaired users.

    Audio CAPTCHA

    Some companies are experimenting with audio CAPTCHAs, spelling out random
    letters with random noise in the background. However, aural disabilities are
    more common than visual ones, so the approach isn't really more accessible.
    Speech recognition software is more advanced than character recognition, so
    the purported purpose of differentiating between humans and computers is not
    filled anyway.

    CAPTCHA is broken

    Several projects to crack common visual CAPTCHA algorithms, particularly The
    CAPTCHA Project (by the Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science), the UC
    Berkeley Computer Vision Group, and Sam Hocevar's PWNtcha, have had good
    success. Howard Yeend demonstrated a vulnerability in several public
    algorithms where he could reuse a solution several thousand times after
    manually solving it once.

    Social engineering is often easier than fancy programming. The first widely
    recognized social engineering solution was "borrowing" CAPTCHAs from target
    sites and showing them at entry points to porn sites. Visitors to porn sites
    would solve the CAPTCHAs, allowing spammers to get essentially free labor.
    Amazon's Mechanical Turk (tagline: "Artificial Artificial Intelligence"),
    which gives micro-payments for simple tasks is an example of another way
    CAPTCHAs could be defeated. Even at a few cents per image, the cost may
    still be too high for spammers, but it is a demonstration that the process
    can be outsourced. After all, the world is flat.

    What is the underlying purpose?

    The real reason for CAPTCHA is to screen undesirables. For low traffic
    sites, it means preventing automated access. This can be accomplished in a
    relatively simple way: add a single required question to the comment submit
    form. Something like "What color was George Washington's white horse?" or
    "Enter the fourth word in this sentence." This is enough to make the form
    non-standard, thus unusable by generic bots. Bypassing this added security
    would be very easy for spammers, the advantage is the relative obscurity of
    most blogs. To target multiple blogs, a spammer would need to address each
    one individually; individual attention is unlikely, so I suggest this method
    is the easiest for bloggers with a knowledge of web programming, and is as
    accessible as a comment form without a CAPTCHA.

    Major sites like Yahoo! and Google have a bigger problem. After all, they
    are targets both because of the value of their services, and their size.
    When it first launched Gmail, Google limited accounts to those who had been
    invited by other active users. Initially there was a good bit of commotion
    in the tech community as gmail.com addresses became a sign of prestige. The
    invitation system allows Google to track which users may be abusing the
    service, and which users invited the abusers. Google has gone a step
    further, and now allows potential users to have an invitation code sent to
    their mobile phones. The number of accounts requested per phone number can
    be tracked. The potential gain from a limited handful of throw-away email
    accounts, and the cost of mobile phones (even disposable ones) is enough to
    deter spammers, because less troublesome alternatives exist.

    If you look at Google's account request page, you'll see a CAPTCHA there.
    Google responsibly offers a way for users with disabilities to bypass the
    CAPTCHA, although it involves human-to-human interaction (and quite a bit
    more time) to complete-a costly alternative.

    Real solutions

    Several solutions to the problems with CAPTCHA have been proposed and
    debated. Most have major cost or accessibility problems.

    It would seem the only good solution is some sort of federated identity
    system, which is really just offloading the trouble of user validation to
    someone else.

    http://tag-strategia.com/blog/archives/2006/02/captcha-the-internet/

    To unsubscribe via e-mail: send a message to
    BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in either
    the subject or body of the message

    Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/