[bct] Re: Fw: [Blindtlk] Web Braille Status

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:56:21 -0500

Thanks Ray, I know that I asked people to take this off line, but your
message is an exception.  Thanks for giving us a status on this so we
won't have to keep wondering about it.

From: "David Andrews" <dandrews@xxxxxxxx>
To: <nfb-announce@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfb-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<napub@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nabs-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfbcs@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<gui-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nabop@xxxxxxxxxx>; <blindlaw@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<nfbmo@xxxxxxxxxx>; <il-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfbwatlk@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<mn-abs@xxxxxxxxxx>; <arizona-students@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<nfbc-info@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfb-reno-l@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<nfb-river-city@xxxxxxxxxx>; <4alabama@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<nfbmi-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>; <oabs@xxxxxxxxxx>; <mabs@xxxxxxxxxx>;
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:58 PM
Subject: [Blindtlk] Web Braille Status

With the interest in Web Braille, and its status, I hereby post the
letter from President Maurer.

David Andrews

May 15, 2006

To the members of the board of directors of the NATIONAL FEDERATION of
Blind, THE PRESIDENTS of state affiliates of the National Federation of
Blind, and the members of the north America/Caribbean region of the
blind union

Dear Colleagues:

            Last Thursday, I received information telling me that
Web-Braille, part of the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped Books for the Blind Program, was being taken
As I was traveling, it took me a little time to seek out information
regarding this action.  The Web-Braille program is one that was created
the library as an innovative example of ways to distribute Braille
to library patrons, and I know that officials in the library are very
of the program.  From what I know of Web-Braille, I understand why those
the library are proud of it, and I applaud the forward thinking of
staff and officials who created this most unusual book distribution

            With this background, I felt certain that there was an
explanation for taking the program offline.  I have today talked with
Cylke, the director of the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped.  He has assured me that the program will be
reinstated within a reasonably short time-certainly within the next ten
business days.   The reason the program has been taken offline is that
technical corrections and repairs are required to insure the continued
excellent performance and viability of the program.  Mr. Cylke assured
that the delay in reinstatement will be as brief as possible.  I provide

this information to you so that you will have the most up-to-date facts
the matter.  As I receive additional data, I will be forwarding them to
It may be that the Web-Braille site will be back online before I get the

opportunity again to write.

Marc Maurer, President
National Federation of the Blind

blindtlk mailing list