[bct] Fw: [Blindtlk] Web Braille Status

  • From: "Ray Foret Jr." <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindCoolTech" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:37:33 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Andrews" <dandrews@xxxxxxxx>
To: <nfb-announce@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfb-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>; <blindtlk@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<napub@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nabs-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfbcs@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<gui-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nabop@xxxxxxxxxx>; <blindlaw@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<nfbmo@xxxxxxxxxx>; <il-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfbwatlk@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<mn-abs@xxxxxxxxxx>; <arizona-students@xxxxxxxxxx>; <cabs-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<nfbc-info@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfb-reno-l@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<nfb-river-city@xxxxxxxxxx>; <4alabama@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfbofnc@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<nfbmi-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>; <oabs@xxxxxxxxxx>; <mabs@xxxxxxxxxx>;
<dtb-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:58 PM
Subject: [Blindtlk] Web Braille Status

With the interest in Web Braille, and its status, I hereby post the below
letter from President Maurer.

David Andrews

May 15, 2006

SENT VIA EMAIL

To the members of the board of directors of the NATIONAL FEDERATION of the
Blind, THE PRESIDENTS of state affiliates of the National Federation of the
Blind, and the members of the north America/Caribbean region of the world
blind union

Dear Colleagues:

            Last Thursday, I received information telling me that
Web-Braille, part of the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped Books for the Blind Program, was being taken offline.
As I was traveling, it took me a little time to seek out information
regarding this action.  The Web-Braille program is one that was created by
the library as an innovative example of ways to distribute Braille materials
to library patrons, and I know that officials in the library are very proud
of the program.  From what I know of Web-Braille, I understand why those in
the library are proud of it, and I applaud the forward thinking of library
staff and officials who created this most unusual book distribution system.

            With this background, I felt certain that there was an
explanation for taking the program offline.  I have today talked with Mr.
Cylke, the director of the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped.  He has assured me that the program will be
reinstated within a reasonably short time-certainly within the next ten
business days.   The reason the program has been taken offline is that
technical corrections and repairs are required to insure the continued
excellent performance and viability of the program.  Mr. Cylke assured me
that the delay in reinstatement will be as brief as possible.  I provide
this information to you so that you will have the most up-to-date facts on
the matter.  As I receive additional data, I will be forwarding them to you.
It may be that the Web-Braille site will be back online before I get the
opportunity again to write.

Cordially,

Marc Maurer, President
National Federation of the Blind