[bct] Re: Frustrations with how AT is taught

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:16:07 -0500

DB, this illustrates an issue that I have had in the past. I will not teach the use of Word, Excel or any other program without some basic instruction in files, file management and manipulation. There was no excuse for his losing 4 hours of work, the person who should have taught him is simply not paying intention, good intentions or not, he is failing the students.

I never cease to be amazed at people's ignorance of the most basic storage structures. They get an email with a picture and can click on it to see it, but move it to a folder with like pictures? Hell, they don't even know where their attachments are stored, let alone how to create a folder or move things to it. Yes, learning file basics is really critical and not providing such training really is shorting the students.

Perhaps my views on this stem from Unix and VMS, but there, you must learn file management as part and parcel of doing anything. In a way, Windows does nobody a favor in being transparant...that is, until you need to find a file.

No, your standards are not too high, you are merely seeing the results of a point and click mentality. The blind new computer users are taught, too often, by the sighted, so they learn just as you say, a few keystrokes, but have no clue of the underlying processes, which are, frankly, more important than the keystrokes.

Dan