[bct] Re: Eyes and emotions

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:29:06 -0600

Dan these are interesting observations.  I have also heard the statistic
about nonverbal communication.  I think it would be kind of neat to be able
to communicate something to someone across a crowded room nonverbally.

Considering the fact that sighted people rely a great deal on nonverbal
communication, I think that may be a large contributing factor to the times
people ask someone who is with us what we might want to order, etc.  They
are used to looking into someone else's eyes and establishing communication
and we can't do that.  In fact, I know my eyes look different now than
earlier in my life because people know immediately I cannot see and that did
not used to be the case.

Speaking of communication, I recently had a telephone conference call at
work and found that an interesting experience.  No one on the line knew I
was blind since none of us could see one another and we had never met.  That
is an interesting advantage we have in a situation like that because no one
can communicate nonverbally.