[bct] Re: Employment and blindness

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:32:44 -0500

On Jan 28, 2006, at 4:22 PM, beth wrote:

Joni, I can't believe that your boss said nothing in response to that H.R.
person's remark about that other blind
applicant--after seeing your work and how you fit seamlessly into the work
environment? I would have pointed out to the H.R. person that what she said
was not true or appropriate, if I had been your boss.

I'm sure we can all agree about that! Unfortunately, I'm sure the boss didn't actually see it that way, even if s/he couldn't verablize it. It's likely as not that Joanie's boss thinks Joanie is the exception rather than the rule. I think we can all agree that, unfortunate as it is, we all tend to be judged by the lowest common denominator, and if we actually rize above that expectation, we're exceptional. Any way around that or out of that trap? Sure, individually, you'll hit exceptions to this, but as a rule? I think getting over that attitude is going to be a long, uphill battle.

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV       | Work from home the Watkins way!
Email: buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx   | Your phone and computer can really pay!
888-75-BUDDY (888-752-8339) | More info at http://www.tastybiz.com
AIM/Skype/Yahoo: kb5elv     | Check out the extensive selection of
MSN: kb5elv@xxxxxxxxxxx     | Watkins' essential products:
http://buddy.brannan.name | http://www.tastyshop.net