[bct] Ebay correspondence

  • From: "Angie Matney" <Angie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:45:35 -0400

Speaking of petitions and such, I'd really like to do something about EBay.
Check out the following chain of emails
between ebay's customer support (if you can call it that) and myself. The most
recent message is at the top.

The "solution" you propose is not possible. I live alone and do not have anyone
who can assist with this. This is EBay's
responsibility. You may call me
at [phone number removed] to change the email address over the phone. Other
companies have managed to find
temporary work-arounds such as calling customers until
they have been able to establish a better system.

Please let me know how you plan to address this matter.

Angela Matney

Enter your response here

Thank you for writing back to eBay. My name is Frederick and I
understand that you want us to change your email address for you as
you&#39;re having trouble doing so. I could see why this would frustrate
you. Let me help you out with this.

Please understand that due to account security and privacy concerns, we
aren&#39;t able to change your email address for you, nor send this email to
the email address you&#39;ve specified. I can see that you are having
trouble changing your email address because you are unable to read the
security code. I understand that this is frustrating. We currently do
not have a workaround for this situation. To keep our members accounts
as secure as possible, we require that you submit the security code in
order to change your email address. I recommend asking a family member
or friend to read the code for you so that you can successfully change
your email address.

I appreciate your patience and understanding with regard to this matter.
I am happy for having the chance to assist you. Thank you for your time.

Frederick J.
eBay Customer Support

Marketplace Safety Tip: Protect yourself from fraudulent emails that ask
for sensitive personal information like credit card numbers, passwords,
etc. Just because an email message looks like it is sent directly from
eBay, that isn&#39;t always the case. To learn more about protecting
yourself from fake or &#34;spoof&#34; emails, see our online tutorial at the
following Web page:

For our latest announcements, please check:

Original Message Follows:

Form Message &#37;42201&#37; 011600
Subject:  GS=C13006 The problem you&#39;re having with email or User IDs
isn&#39;t listed [#US ?01 ]

User Feedback:  72
User State:  ?01

Browser Info:  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

Registration and Membership &#62; Email addresses, User IDs, contact
information &#62; The problem you&#39;re having with email or User IDs isn&#39;t

Message: Hello,

I cannot update my email address because I am blind and cannot access
the graphical verification code required to change my email address.
Many sites (Paypal, Google, Livejournal, etc.) offer blind users the
opportunity to hear an audio file instead of seeing a graphic. Please
institute such a policy so that eBay can be effectively used by
everyone. In the meantime, though, please change my email address from
[old address removed] to [new address removed]. Please do not write to me at the
[old email] address--I will not see it. Send all communication to
[new email]. Thank you very much.