[bct] Re: Eating Out, and Music

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:47:02 -0800

You asked some questions about learning to play guitar without sight. It's no problem at all; remember there are a lot of blind professionals, like Doc Watson, the legendary blind singer who plays a lot of instruments besides guitar, and there's at least one other country singer who's blind; also Jose Feliciano, the urban jazz guitarist and song writer who is blind; I have friends both blind and sighted who play, and I have played since college although I need to get some new strings for my guitar since it's been years since I've played.

I know what you mean about difficulty going out to eat. I wish I could have avoided going out to some of the business lunches I got stuck with; usually they were a couple hours long, and I never really knew what to say; usually my group got invited as a courtesy, so we were a small group among about 30 people who knew each other far better than they knew us. Blindness wasn't the issue since everyone knew of my blindness; the problem was I didn't know many of the people very well. Fortunately, my last ten years of these events were much better, because it was usually just our group of a dozen or so, and as the size of the department got smaller, the lunches got better because we knew each other better. I plan to have my retirement luncheon at a place called Olive Garden; the menus are in braille and the staff is wonderful! They offer the best minestrone soup anyone could want, and they have a pizza that you can choose your own toppings for; I think four is the limit although they might add more. I really have a field day with that, with all those olives, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and who knows what else!