[bct] Re: Eating Out

  • From: "Eric StevenS" <sseric57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:34:18 -0500

Well, one suggestion already presented was to find a tip or corner and cut
that off.  Use your knife or fork to survey the shape.  Another method is to
similarly find the shape and cut a strip and then cut that into sections.

My method of dealing with pasta, ain't pretty, but sort of works, is to use
the side of my fork and cut in various directions across the plate before I
begin eating.  Yep, you still have some long strands, but far less than
usual.  But, let's face it, there is no pretty way of eating spaghetti, so
blind or not you are expected to look goofy trying.  There is, of course,
the fork and spoon method, which I have never bothered with.

Maybe a good way of figuring out what works and getting proficient would be
with a stack of pancakes or French toast.  Then try it with syrup on those
and you'll soon learn what works and what does not for you.  Just another

I don't mean to suggest anyone is right or wrong in how they handle these
things, I just had never given thought that it was a problem.  I can surely
relate with Grant that a buffet is a mess for a blind person without a close
friend or wife, etc. going through the line with you.  Even just a co-worker
can make it an uncomfortable trip with the detail of questions they ask and
volume asked.  I know everyone knows that you are blind and require
assistance serving yourself, but I don't need to announce to the dining room
I eat two rolls and a double helping of turnips.  Or maybe that's just me...

Eric SS