[bct] Re: Eating Out

  • From: "Eric StevenS" <sseric57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:30:19 -0500

Here is one disadvantage of not associating with many blind people.

I just cannot imagine some of the difficulties you all describe.  I haven't
had any one cut anything or butter anything for me since I was 5 and I have
been totally blind since 3.  I don't think that I slop or spill any more
than any sighted person and I have never asked a wait person for

I don't mean to sound like some sort of super blink, but I just can't
imagine the difficulty described.  I am sorry for them, for sure.

Maybe people should have a steak party at their house and be the one to cut
everyone's meat for them as a learning and practice experience.  I imagine
it can't feel comfortable being in the position of having to ask for help
with such common tasks, so maybe a crash course in them will free people to
just enjoy themselves more and when they might not previously.

I hope not to sound like I am being critical.  I just think it is important
to know that mere blindness is not an issue in many of these situations.
Now, if people have other difficulties with their coordination or
musculature, etc., of course that is different.

Eric SS