[bct] Re: Dreaming and coffee

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:52:39 -0500

Bill, please, double please, triple please, never, never, never freeze your coffee beans. Many think this is the best way to preserve them, it is not, I assure you.

When you freeze the beans, the moisture in the air around them turns into ice and when thawed, the water goes into the beans and they spoil in a short time, even if they seem okay, their flavor is seriously compromised.

I use a Talia Food Saver vacuum sealer to seal the extra beans. I use quart Mason or Ball canning jars, the flats can be reused hundreds of times. The Food Saver has, as an attachment, a little thingie that allows you to seal canning jars. Doing this will allow the beans to keep for months if necessary. Beans go stale in less time than most think, about a week and a half. When I get the 5 pound bags, I vacuum everything immediately except what I use in a week, about one quart jar of beans. Each week, I open a new jar and they are as fresh as when received.

As I said to Lois, I really am a coffee snob, I admit it, but I figure for what I pay, I might as well get the most flavor possible.

You're right about Peet's, they used to be first rate, but in spreading out like Charbucks, they have fallen into disrepute. As a rule, grocery store beans have been sitting around a goodly amount of time since they were roasted. The fresher the beans, the better they will be. Roasting your own is the best, and it is easy for a blind person to do, too.

Dan