[bct] Re: Dreaming

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:29:21 -0800

Dreams are fascinating! I love reading about everyone's experiences and hearing the podcast remarks. I also have always had light perception but in some dreams, I am driving a car, or controlling a space ship. When I was a child I got around by flying, but I had some falling dreams that scared me so bad I don't fly any more. I also have dreams sometimes where there is a sense of tension and evil, and it gets so strnng that it's a good thing when I wake up. I sometimes have travel dreams that are scary to me although they may not be to other people, things like getting stranded on a huge, open area like a big prairie or some place where there is no help but I have to be some place in a half hour and there is no way I'll get there.

The dreams I love are the playful ones. I dreamed once that I lived in a big amusement park; when I left home I ended up in a big play ground with lots of food, lots of things to do. During a stressful time at work, I had a dream that instead of going to work I ended up at a big carnival. You could go anywhere in this carnival by standing there and wishing you were there, and the ground moved and suddenly you were at your destination. I hated to wake up from that dream because as I said, it was a real time of stress in my life.

It's fascinating how so many on this list who had sight at some time can still dream in color. Jake and others who have never seen probably dream like I do; you dream as if you're awake, and blind, but you can do things a blind person can't do, like driving a car and in some way just knowing where you are going without any mobility assistance. It's a neat feeling, isn't it!

Mary