[bct] Dog Feeding and Harness Questions

  • From: "Lisa Salinger" <lisasali@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:23:18 -0500

Hi all,
    I'm combining a few subjects into one so I'm not sending out several
shorter messages.
    Someone asked the question of how I mixed the chicken, turkey, deer, beef,
pork, etc. that I feed my dog.  Since there are no fillers for the dog to get
used to, I can vary the food often with no ill effects.  I talked to others who
fed raw and did a lot of reading on the web before taking the plunge.  Even
among raw feeders, there are differences of opinion as to what dogs need.  Some
feed vegetables and/or grain, while others, like me, feed raw meat, eggs, and
yogurt.  Raw meat can include bone, organ meat like heart, liver, tripe, and
the list goes on.
    I started feeding a raw diet because my retired guide was sick throughout
much of her life and never did well on any food for long.  She tolerates the
raw best, and her coat, ears, and teeth are great.  She turns ten this month,
and I have never had to have her teeth cleaned.
    If I were to feed a commercial kibble, I would look for one which uses only
human grade ingredients.  I know Flint River Ranch is out there still.  I used
to be a distributor for them before switching to raw.  There were some problems
when they used a new mold and some people got 40 pound bags of powder, and
their communications aren't always the easiest, but overall, it seems as though
they have a good product.  Still, I am glad I made the switch.  Traveling isn't
too hard.  I take along salmon, sardines, or tuna in pull tab cans or pouches,
and I take frozen meaty bones with me and feed them in the bathtub if I am in a
hotel or outside if I'm at someone's house.  I have to take a cooler along
anyway for one of my meds, so taking a little larger one isn't a big deal to me.
    Now, onto harnesses, finally.  (smile)  Here's my understanding.  Along a
dog's spine, on either side of it are very thin bones which protrude out from
it which can not be easily felt.  For this reason, some schools and individuals
are experimenting with harness designs.  I've seen some which go around the
dog's neck and shoulders, like a large collar.  Others are like a cape with
attachment points for the handle.  Still others are using wider back straps or
padding the existing strap.  Also, I do sometimes remove my dog's harness
handle, but usually only on long car or plane trips.
    Hope this was helpful.
Lisa Salinger
Renee, Retired Guide and
Joie, Guide/SD